Sunday, January 24, 2010

New Music

I guess I'm an oldhead now, I just don't get the state of music, especially hip-hop, anymore. I'm tired of of songs instructing me to move my legs, shrug my shoulders, snap my neck, etc... It was ok when there were only a few songs like that but the airwaves are dominated by such trash nowadays. I was happy to see the Grammy's recognizing some authentic hip hop in the best rap album category this year: Mos Def's The Ecstatic and Q-Tip's underrated The Renaissance. In my opinion The Ecstatic was the best hip-hop release of 2009.

Was perusing U-Stream the other night and stumbled upon TJ Chapman's New Music Reviews show. For wannabe Simon Cowell type American Idol judges this show is a goldmine, and a nice little profit center for TJ. In a nutshell aspiring rappers/singers/musicians send in their demos to TJ who plays them for his audience (which reached around 300+ last Thursday) who in turn critiques the demos by chat. I was mesmerized for 2 hours on Thursday. Most of the submissions were poor to quite poor with the exception of 1, Trillogy. This unsigned group has some talent, reminiscent of early Fugees with a little City High thrown in for good measure: Check out this snippet from TJs show, skip to the 1st marker around the 1:05:53 point:



TJ charges $25 to review your song on his show...man there are a lot of aspiring artists out there....hmmmmmm.

You can download Trillogy's mixtape at the link below:
http://usershare.net/5ey5j7qhbhoy

No comments:

Post a Comment